Grand Forks & District Fall Fair History

The first Fall Fair was in 1910 and had 1001 entries. MP Martin Burrell opened the festivities. Early fairs were held on 3rd between Market and the highway

In the early years, fruit growing was big in the valley, so competitions with the growers were common.  Swine and poultry clubs exhibited at the fair with competitions in livestock categories.

The fair disappeared after about 1933 during the depression and by 1954 work had begun to resurrect the fair. 

Wilbur Bannert and his truck, along with other volunteers, cut and brought lodge-pole pine poles from the North Fork down to Firemen's Park, which is now the Industrial Park.

The Fall Fair eventually moved to the Arena in (west) Grand Forks, but since there was no accommodation for the animals, the livestock competitions that were big at the old Firemen's Park were eliminated. The Fair moved to Broadacres Farms in 1995. For years now, the Fall Fair has been held at Dick Bartlett Park and the GF Curling Rink.

We truly hope the Grand Forks & District Fall Fair finds a permanent home soon.

Information Received via The OpenMinder Community Paper - Issue 8 May 27, 1999